Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Thing 13

I came into this Thing with some experience. I had my homepage set up with igoogle, made some computer changes, and got a new homepage. Revisited igoogle, set it up and added some gadgets. I got a little carried away, and now I have two homepages...they come up together and you just click on the tab for the one you want. I like the looks of the igoogle one. Unfortunately, they allow you to put games on your homepage...this is terrible news for me. I have a hard time getting past them without playing them...major time wasters!! I know I should go back and take them off my homepage!! I would definitely recommend igoogle to others.
I'm a notorious list maker, and they lay all over the place. (My husband hates lists...a point of contention?!!) I made a list on "Remember the milk," which I thought was at least tidier than my method. I think the point of making lists for me is that they are right in my face...on the kitchen table, on the counter, taped to the front door (so I don't leave without something.) When I make a list for my husband I want him to see it...he would never go online to find one!! ...So I guess this wouldn't work for me at home. I'm thinking it would be more useful at work, I could make a list of things that have to be accomplish during a given week. The google calendar would be even more useful at work (personal events could be included). This way you could make sure you don't schedule a class at work on a day you will be on vacation!!
I really liked "Backpack." This would be ideal for any outing...not just major trips.
I like the idea of "MyStickies"...I had a woman in yesterday that had written down an address for a site. When she typed it in, the address didn't work, and the lady wasn't sure how she had gotten to that particular site. (She wanted me to help her with the problem.) If I'm understanding correctly, she could have put a sticky on that site instead of writing down that big long site address. With a sticky on it, she could have (once in her mystickies account) gotten back in.
I didn't know about Zamzar either...I'm learning so much!! I had a guy in...his computer didn't support ppt. His teacher/professor had the information in ppt. The guy came in to use a public computer to get the information out of ppt. save it on a disc in something his computer would handle. He struggled (twice he logged completely out and I had to put in passwords)but eventually was able to do it. (He didn't tell me what he did.) It would have been fun to try Zamzar!
Some of the tools listed were already visited in 23 Things. I use gmail and would recommend that.

No comments: