Thursday, February 19, 2009

Thing 16

I know this is going to sound pretty bad, but my first thoughts on looking at the U of M Assignment Calculator was-can't they think for themselves. It tells them to search the library catalog...keep careful notes with source clearly indicated, and they get email reminders so they know when to be doing this stuff. How did we ever manage to get our degrees?!
First of all, students tend to come into the public library as a last resort, (I don't know why that is, but in my experience it is) so they have no time left. They want materials now, no putting things on hold...no ILL, it has to be available in our building. So I don't see the Assignment Calculator or the Research Project Calculator as useful for us. I can see where they would be in the schools. The Teacher Resources in the Research Project Calculator are very good..lots of good ideas!! I think some of the handouts would actually work for us in the public library...and especially if we could get the students in sooner.
I can see the Assignment Calculator working for a library staff group project. It would organize when things should be getting done to stay on track for a deadline. I don't think I would use it for a project...I think it just adds one more step to the project...and would add guilt if I didn't get a step done on time! I have enough guilt!!

No comments: